Thursday, September 2, 2010

Groceries


I will never get used to the meat aisle. Could not find ground beef today, but there was ground horse, which is an odd maroonish brown, almost like the pulp of an over-ripe blood-orange (or, you know, like horse flesh). Then I had to reach over a two-pack of skinned rabbit heads (freaking staring at me buggers) to grab some chicken breast. So, vocab of the day: machinato di cavallo, testa di coniglio.

Looking for a picture to add to this posting, I came across a recipe for rabbit head pasta, using all the ingredients readily available to those of us in Italy, and readily avoidable to anyone not. And there are pictures. Lots of rabbit head pictures.

PS: My google search for "rabbit head" taught me not to attempt a "horse meat" query.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Be sure to learn all the variations of the word horse, to include pony. I learned that it shows up in menus disguised in all sorts of fun ways.

    Have you seen the chicken feet yet?

    Have a great day!
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! Yes, despite the appeal of having a new "cultural experience" I've become wary of ordering surprise menu items.

    Also, I'm no where near the sea, but we have octopus in every market (fresh, frozen, whole, chunked). Why is that?

    ReplyDelete